Sunday, May 2, 2010

Park Bench Meditation-Exhilarating experience

Detaching yourself from action increases your ability to concentrate and gradually enables you to be here and now.
A simple meditation technique -though a little difficult initially ended in an exhilarating experience.
Sit quietly without any movement for 30 minutes on a bench in a park and watch the activity around you.
Where I Sat During My Meditation - It's a small park close to my home where I go for my usual evening walk. On one side is a creek overlooking the hills with a bridge over it for trains to cross over. The other side is a public garden with a jogger's park. I sat on the bench which gave me a view of the creek, hills, as well as the garden.
My experience-
§ Little things which normally go unnoticed like the different ways in which people gave bird food to a flock of pigeons.
§ The setting sun casting wild shadows on the still waters of the creek felt like the sun was impatient to embrace the horizon.
§ Flock of birds returning home. The way in which the group remain together the geometry is unbelievable.
§ Children running wild at times with mothers trying to keep abreast.
§ The way in which children ate ice cream oblivious to the world around and mothers fretting, trying to clean the mess.
§ At some point I started vibrating and then felt a chilly breeze around me which sent a chill up my spine resulting in goosebumps and a jolt. It was then that I realised where I was. A different feeling, felt tremendous peace and calm different from the regular meditation.

Lessons Learned
§ Deep breathing before starting helps calm and steady nerves.
§ Meditate with an open mind to experience that state of void or nothingness.
§ Helps curb useless chain of thoughts.
§ Helps to remain alert.
§ Be one with Nature.
§ Be grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment